Friday, April 2, 2010

Hood Rat...Hood Rat....Hoochie Mama...



I'm from Colorado and went to a predominantly white school, I'm definitely not the poster child for a true black woman. Get me on the phone and I sound like a straight white girl (not one from the valley) but white none the less. My favorite movies are romantic comedies and I've never seen The Color Purple or Boyz in the Hood. I'm just now learning how to cook, but I don't like soul food, especially fried chicken because I'm a vegetarian. See not the "typical" Black Chick.


Anyway, I was hanging out with a friend yesterday and we were discussing which attributes of ourselves attract men the most. My ass, the fact that my hair is real, my charm and intellect were my front runners (I could have said intellect first, but if I'm being 100, that shit doesn't matter until later), but she pointed out something that I found interesting.

She said, "I think men are attracted to your looks but you have a good balance of everything that makes a woman attractive. They fall in love with you because of that and because your ghettoness is in the details. "

I LOVED THAT!!!

She said that even though I have a proper dialect and don't have the head rolling kind of attitude, people would never guess that I prefer to drink out of empty jelly jars and that my real name is LaShaun (which by the way I represent on the gold name plate necklace I wear everyday. Brooklyn Ghetto). That while my nails are french manicured and my toe polish is a nude, light pink, people fail to notice, my pinkie nails are tipped in hot pink acrylic (I usually get white tips cause it's professional but one time my little sister begged me to get color so I only did my pinkies. It's been a year so now it's kinda my thing. It's like my nail mullet...business up front, a slice of ghetto on the side).

Nevertheless, I thought it was a cute thought. Steph's taken it upon herself to tutor me so I can get my Chicago Black Card and while I would never consider myself ghetto or chase it down like New New, I like that other people see it in the details of my life and sets me a part from other chicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment