Monday, April 5, 2010

Imaginary mentors....

So here's a list of women that help me stay motivated in achieving my dreams and the career aspirations I've set for myself. I don't want to be rich, I don't want to be fabulous....I just want to do great things.

Grace Coddington
Creative Director for American Vogue


I first became familiar with Grace when I watched The September Issue (I watched the movie 3 times in a row the night I bought it). Anyone who has an interest in design needs to watch this movie, even if you don't an interest in fashion. Anna Wintour is the face of Vogue and her work ethic is impeccable, Grace however is an example of someone who believes in the work she does and if need be, will give her life for it. I saw a lot of who I could be in her and there's this scene in the movie that blew me away. At the end of a haute couture fashion show in Paris, the "who's who" of the fashion world get up to either leave, do press interviews or socialize and as the camera is doing a once over on the crowd, it catches Grace, sitting quietly in her seat, completely concentrated and consumed with finishing her notes of the fashion show. I can't fully explain her drive and commitment to her work which is why I suggest you watch the movie, it's amazing.

Kimora Lee Simmons
A Mogul Mom and star of Life in the Fab Lane (Style Network)

When I watch Kimora's reality show, there's two sides of this woman I see beneath the glitz, glamour and attitude. A mogul who has high expectations and KNOWS EXACTLY what she wants (which I love) and a mother who talks and relates to her children exactly how I'd like to do with my future kids. I know she has a lot of help but it's awesome to see someone who is very hands on with both her businesses and her children, and seems like she didn't give up who she was when she became a mom.


Karen from WhereDidUGetThat Fashion Blog


If I'm being honest...there's not a lot of stylists that are black with whom I share the same fashion sense (I'm not into shiny things and wild patterns). Karen though is a fashion blogger that I have come to admire and envy. I'm not sure what her daytime job is (stylist or not) but she does a great job of pairing vintage finds (which basically mean thrift store purchases), items from H&M and Forever 21, with pieces from Balenciaga, YSL and Chloe. Every look is very SATC Carrie-esque but affordable and easy to do.


Plus she drops little catch phrases throughout her blog like Rachel Zoe's "I die" and black references, that lack in other blogs, like a tribute to Erykah Badu.


Kelly Cutrone
Business founder of People's Revolution and star of Kell on Earth (Bravo)

Kelly is awesome, I just read her book If You Have to Cry Go Outside and it was full of great tips and suggestions when you are pursuing your dream job, whether it be as an entrepreneur or within Corporate America. Although the way she runs her office is insane, she shows she cares by fixing her employees up with random men and baking cupcakes for them. She comes across as a top notch hard ass but she really does care about her business, its success and the success of her employees.



A lot of these women are full of knowledge and wisdom and I encourage you to do some research on them and see how they inspire you....

No comments:

Post a Comment